Refraining from smoking is by no means easy. But nowadays a number of smoking cessation aids are available that makes simple for smokers to crack their dependence to Nicotine. Zyban extended-release tablet is the most popular Nicotine-free solution approved for use to cease smoking. It contains Bupropion hydrochloride in it as active ingredient. Apart from ceasing smoking, it can also help in reducing withdrawal symptoms which may include frustration, anxiety, irritability, troubles in concentrating, agitation, and feeling low. Zyban extended-release has been shown to lower the craving for cigarettes or decrease in urge to smoke.
The exact working of this medication is not known but it is somewhat related to dopaminergic and noradrenergic mechanisms. Bupropion is moderately weak blocker of the neuronal reuptake of dopamine and norepinephrine. In this way, this medicine increases the ability of smokers to abstain from smoking.
The recommended dosage of Zyban-SR is one 150mg tablet orally in a day daily for six days, increasing to 150mg two times daily on day seven. You must take this medicine daily for 7 to 9 weeks. You can take it with or without food; you must take it with food to avoid nauseous sensation or stomach upset. This tablet must be taken as such without crushing or chewing as this may lead to an increased risk of adverse effects like seizures.
Common side effects linked with the use of Zyban-SR may include lack of sleep and dry mouth. These side effects are known to be usually mild, and time and again fade away after a few weeks. The use of Zyban-SR can also be associated with a dose-dependent possibility of seizures. Never increase the dosage 300mg in a day as higher doses can be harmful for the person.
AVOID Zyban-SR in following conditions:-
• Allergy to Bupropion or any other components.
• Serious hepatic cirrhosis.
• History of seizures or existing seizure disorder.
• Known central nervous system tumor.
• History of bipolar disorder.
• Increased eye pressure or glaucoma.
Concurrent use of the following drugs is prohibited with Zyban-SR, these may include:-
• Antidepressants like monoamine oxidase inhibitors
• Beta-blockers such as Metoprolol
• Anti-seizure drugs like Carbamazepine
• Hypoglycaemics or insulin
• Antipsychotics such as Risperidone
• Corticosteroids such as Prednisone
Precautions and Warnings:-
• Zyban-SR tablets use is not recommended in patients below the age of 18 years, also it must be used with proper care in older people (remember: the maximum tolerable dose for older people of Zyban-SR id 150mg in a day).
• This medication must be used with caution in patients with kidney and liver dysfunction conditions.
• Zyban-SR must not be used by pregnant woman and breast-feeding mother.
In case of missed dose of Zyban Tablets:-
You must carry on taking Zyban extended-release tablets even if you feel fit. Remember not to miss any doses. If you accidentally miss a dose, skip the missed dose and return to your usual dosing timetable. AVOID taking more than one dose within 8 hours.
Store this medicine at room temperature between 15 to 30oC in a dry and cool place.
"ZYBAN-SR: AN EFFECTIVE TREATMENT FOR NICOTINE ADDICTION"