Prosoma with an active ingredient Carisoprodol is a muscle relaxant that works by blocking pain sensations between the nerves and the brain.
Mechanism of action of Prosoma
Prosoma with an active ingredient Carisoprodol is a central nervous system depressant that acts as a sedative and skeletal muscle relaxant. Rather than acting directly on skeletal muscle, Carisoprodol interrupts neuronal communication within the reticular formation and spinal cord, resulting in sedation and alteration in pain perception.
Prosoma is available as 500mg in the form of a tablet. It is to be taken orally with sufficient amount of water with or without meals. This medication is to be taken only after the prescription from the physician. Maximum intake of the drug can be twice a day above which it can cause adverse effects. The recommended maximum duration for Prosoma is 2-3 weeks.
There are some side effects likely to occur with use of Prosoma such as headache, nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, dizziness, skin reactions, swelling of lips and mouth, extreme weakness and seizures.
There are some contraindications in which Prosoma 500mg is not at all recommended such as:
- Avoid using this medication if you are hypersensitive to any of its ingredient
- Do not use this medication in case of pregnancy and lactation
- Avoid intake of dietary and herbal supplements while using this medication
- Do not use this medication in case you are having any liver or kidney issues
- Avoid using the medication if you are having problem of epileptic seizures
- Do not use Prosoma in case of acute Porphyria
- Avoid using this medication if you have any history of drug abuse
There are many drugs that are likely to interact with Prosoma such as Xyram, Plavix, Ticlid, sleep medication such as opiates, anxiety medications such as benzodiazepines, depression medicines, pain killers or analgesics, immunosuppressants such as Apokyn, Aldomet, Tenex and Intuniv.
Prosoma 500mg should be stored at room temperature 250C to 300C; to be kept away from sunlight and moisture. Keep this drug out of reach from children and pets.
There are some precautionary measures to be kept in mind while using Prosoma such as:
- Do not take this medicine for a longer time as it can cause dependence effect
- Sudden intake of this drug should be not be done as it causes withdrawl symptoms
- Avoid using alcohol beverages as it can cause drowsiness effect
- Nursing mother should avoid intake of this drug as the drug can pass into breast milk and can harm the baby
- This drug can cause drowsiness effect so avoid any work or using any machinery that requires your alertness
- Not recommended for use in individuals less than 12 years of age