Mifepristone is a synthetic steroid which has antiprogesterone action widely used for the termination of undesired pregnancy. Mifepristone is a rapidly absorbed drug. This drug is effective if taken within 49 days (7 weeks) of pregnancy. Mifepristone do not require surgery. It is also effective in the second trimester. Mifepristone is marketed under the brand name of RU-486.
Progesterone hormone is necessary for the continuance of pregnancy because it supplies oxygen and nutrition to the fetus inside the womb. It sensitizes the myometrium to the contraction-inducing action of prostaglandin. Mifepristone works by inhibiting the progesterone hormone.
What are the contraindications of Mifepristone?
- Do not use this drug if you are suffering from adrenal gland problems (chronic adrenal failure) or Addison disease.
- Do not use this drug if you have bleeding problems or certain blood problems like Porphyria.
- Do not use this drug if you have any renal or hepatic disorder.
- Do not use this drug if you are allergic to Mifepristone.
- This drug is not advised incase of ectopic pregnancy (fetus outside the womb)
What are the drug interactions of Mifepristone?
- Do not use this drug if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement.
- Do not use anticoagulants- Warfarin or corticosteroids- hydrocortisone Azole antifungal like Itraconazole, Ketoconazole or Erythromycin as it may increase the risk of side effects.
- Do not use anticonvulsants- Carbamazepine, Phenobarbital, Phenytoin, or Dexamethasone, and Rifampin as it my decrease the effect of the drug.
How to sore Mifepristone?
Store Mifepristone at room temperature (25 to 300C), keep this drug out of reach from children.
Method of administration of Mifepristone:
Mifepristone is solid dosage preparation. Administer this drug by mouth with an adequate amount of water. The recommended dose of Mifepristone is 200mg. On the first day take 3 tablets at one time and wait for 2 days. Then consult a doctor for the confirmation of pregnancy. If still pregnancy remains take 2 tablets of Misoprostol (200mcg) at one time. Then after 14 days of drug intake again consult a doctor for confirmation of abortion.
Over Dose of Mifepristone:
Do not use more than recommended dose as it can cause an overdose. In the case of overdose consult your doctor and get medical help from the nearby hospital.
Side Effects of Mifepristone:
While using this medication some patient may feel some common side effects: inflammation of the vagina, dizziness, feeling sick, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, back pain, headache, muscle pain, cramps, pain in the pelvic region, and tiredness.
Precaution should be followed while taking Mifepristone:
- Take iron containing food after abortion for the recovery of blood loss.
- Do not consume alcohol while using this drug.
- Remove intrauterine device and avoid intake of birth control pills while taking this drug.
- Do not drive while using this medication.
- You should not smoke while using this medication.