Generic Rizatriptan is used for the treatment of migraine headaches with or without aura. This belongs to the category of the class of selective serotonin receptor 5-HT1 agonist. It helps to reduce a headache which is already begin it does not provide any prevention against migraine attacks. Maxalt is an FDA approved drug. It acts on the brain's sensitivity to serotonin, a neurotransmitter that causes blood vessels to contract. This relieves pressure in the brain that causes migraines.
Mechanism of action of Maxalt10 mg
Maxalt acts by increasing the sensitivity of the brain to serotonin that causes the contraction of blood vessels in the brain and stopping the signals transmission of pain to the brain. Finally, give relief from the migraine headache.
Contraindications of Maxalt 10 mg
Maxalt is contraindicated under certain medical conditions such as:
- If the patient is hypersensitive towards the active medicament of this medication and another inactive drug should not take this medication
- Avoid taking this medication if you are suffering from blood clotting disease
- If you have uncontrolled high blood pressure does not use this drug
- If you are suffering from heart problem do not take this medication
- Do not take this medication if you have a history of ischemic attack
- Patients of Liver and kidney disorder should not take this medication
- Pregnant women and nursing mothers should not take this medication
Drug interaction of Maxalt 10 mg
Maxalt shows drug interaction when used along with the combination of certain enlisting drugs:
Ergotamines, Monoamine Oxidase inhibitors, another triptan, Parkinson's drugs, the herbal supplement, Cymbalta, St. John's Wort, Zyvox
How to store Maxalt 10 mg?
Maxalt should be stored at room temperature 20 to 30 0C and protect it from heat, sunlight and moisture. Keep away from the reach of children.
What is a method of administration of Maxalt 10mg?
Maxalt is available as a quick dissolving tablet administered via oral route it comes in doses of 5mg and 10mg. It can be taken with or without food. Do not consume more than 30 mg in one day. If you missed the dose take as soon as possible, if it is already time for the next dose then skip the dose then go back to your regular dosage schedule.
Overdose of Maxalt 10 mg
Do not consume this drug in large amount. If in case you consumed an overdose of Maxalt, seeks medical attention immediately the symptoms of overdose include irregular heartbeat, shortness of breath, vomiting, headache, drowsiness, and weakness.
Possible side effect of Maxalt 10 mg
Individual may feel common side effects after taking this medication includes:
Vomiting, upset stomach, diarrhea, dizziness, Tiredness, stomach pain, drowsiness, tremors, muscle pain or cramps, muscle pain or cramps, flushing and dry mouth.
What precautions must you follow before administering Maxalt 10 mg?
- This medication may leave some drowsy and dizzy effects so; do not drive and other important work that needs your attention after administering this drug.
- Children are not advised to take this drug without health care professional.