Librium is an orally administered drug used for the management of anxiety and has weak analgesic actions. This drug is also used for the treatment of symptoms of alcohol withdrawal, reduce anxiety and fear before the surgical procedure to relax the patient and to cure irritable bowel syndrome.
Mechanism of action of Librium:
Librium contains Chlordiazepoxide as an active constituent that belongs to the class of benzodiazepines. This drug works by binding to GABA receptors, increasing the binding of inhibitory neurotransmitters which leads to hyperpolarization. This results in sedative, hypnotic, anxiolytic, and muscle relaxant properties.
What are the contraindications of Librium?
- Patients who are allergic to ingredients of Librium should not use this medication.
- This drug should not be used in case of severe liver disease, or a mental state where contact with reality is lost (psychosis).
- This drug should not be given to patients of acute narrow-angle glaucoma.
- This drug is avoided to Myasthenia gravis patient.
- Do not use this drug if you are suffering from severe sleep apnea.
What are the drug interactions of Librium?
Digoxin, Chlordiazepoxide, Disulfiram , Fluoxetine , Isoniazid , Antihistamines, Cimetidine Ketoconazole, Clozapine, Disulfiram, Nefazodone, Omeprazole, Sodium Oxybate, or Valproic, Clozapine, and Hydantoins.
Do not use prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement while administering this drug.
How to store Librium?
Store Librium at room temperature 20 to 30oC. This drug should be kept away from heat and moisture. Keep this drug out of reach from children.
How to administer Librium?
Librium is available in 25 mg tablet dosage form. Administer this drug via mouth with sufficient amount of water 3 to 4 times in a day. You can administer this drug with or without food. Librium should be administered each day at same time. Do not crush or break, swallow the tablet as a whole.
In case of missed dose Librium:
Do not take missed dose if time is near to next dose.
In Case of over dose of Librium:
Slowed breathing, fainting, loss of consciousness, drowsiness, and slowed/reduced reflexes
Above are the symptoms of overdose in case you feel these symptoms consult your doctor as soon as possible or go to the nearby hospital for treatment.
What are the side effects of taking librium-25mg?
This drug can show some side effects such as a headache; lack of coordination; clumsiness; confusion; dizziness; excessive daytime drowsiness; lightheadedness; unsteadiness; unusual weakness, rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue.
What are the precautions of taking Librium?
- While administering this drug do not consume alcohol as it can increase the effect of alcohol.
- Avoid driving after intake of this medications as this drug causes dizziness, drowsiness, blurred vision effect.
- For pregnant and breastfeeding women this drug is strictly inhibited as it can harm the fetus.
- This drug is not advised for patients with history of sucidal attempts.