Cytotec contains Misoprostol as an active constituent which is used for the termination of pregnancy. It is also used for the treatment of stomach ulcers, and for treating postpartum bleeding. Misoprostol should be used within nine weeks from last menstruation, counting from the first day of the last regular period. Many times it is also used for the treatment of early fetal death.
Misoprostol belongs to class of prostaglandin analogue medication; it works by binding to myometrial cells and then it produces strong myometrial contractions causing the removal of dead tissue outside fetus.
What are the contraindications of Cytotec?
- If you are hypersensitive towards generic Misoprostol then do not use this drug.
- If a female have an ectopic pregnancy (fetus outside the womb), do not use this drug.
- If you are under long-term corticosteroid therapies in that case do not use this drug.
- Do not use this drug if are suffering from chronic adrenal failure.
- If you are suffering from hemorrhagic disorders do not use this drug.
- Do not use this drug if you have kidney and liver disorder.
What are the drug interactions of Cytotec?
While using Cytotec do not use other drugs as it can interact with Misoprostol as it can affect the action of drug:
- Misoprostol can affect the action of drugs like: cyclosporine, ergot alkaloids, Simvastatin, Lovastatin, Tacrolimus and Warfarin
- Do not use aspirin as it can increase the risk of bleeding when used with Misoprostol
- Do not use oral corticosteroid like Dexamethasone and Prednisone
How to store Cytotec?
Misoprostol should be stored at room temperature (20 to 300C). Keep this drug out of reach from out of children.
How to use Cytotec?
Cytotec is an orally administered drug with sufficient amount of water. Cytotec contains 12 tablets of 200mcg. Administer 12 tablets in 3 divided doses. So take 4 tablets at one time and maintain gap of 3 to 4 hours and continue the remaining dose. After three to four days of taking Cytotec tablets go to the doctor for the confirmation of abortion.
Over Dose of Cytotec:
In case of overdose of Cytotec, immediately consult your doctor and get medical help from nearby hospital.
Side Effects of Cytotec
You may feel some side effects while using this medication such as: headache, muscle pain, cramps, pain in the pelvic region, inflammation of the vagina, dizziness, feeling Sick, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, back pain, and tiredness.
Precaution should be followed while taking Cytotec
- You should not consume alcohol while using this drug.
- If you are using intra uterine device, remove it while using this drug.
- Avoid driving during treatment by Cytotec.
- Do not smoke while using this medication.
- For the recovery of anemia and blood loss, a female should take iron containing diet.