How it works Questran Medication?
Questran is an oral drug which is meant to lower down the cholesterol level. This drug should be used along with proper diet .This drug is also prescribed to relieve from itching caused by bile duct disease. In this way this drug also lowers down the risk of heart stroke or heart attack by balancing cholesterol level in the blood. The individual should avoid the intake of alcohol with this, as it may add to drowsiness effect caused by Questran.
The active component of Questran is Cholestyramine which is a bile acid sequestrant or bile acid-binding resin. This drug acts by escalating the elimination of bile acid from the body. This drug manages the level of cholesterol in the blood, by cause liver to increase more bile acid, by using cholesterol. In this way it lowers down the cholesterol level.
Avoid the consumption of Cholestyramine 4g in certain condition such as:-
• in case of having any allergy to this drug.
• In case of complete blockage of biliary tract, high blood chloride levels, severe constipation.
• In case of taking leflunomide or mycophenolate.
Avoid the intake of certain class of cholestyramine sachets such as:-
• Anticoagulants such as Warfarin.
• beta-blockers such as Propranolol.
• diuretics such as Furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide.
• hormonal contraceptives such as birth control pills.
Keep this drug at room temperature, between 68 and 77 0F. Keep it away from heat, moisture, and light. Always keep this drug away from the reach of children or pets.
Dosage and direction of Questran:-
The drug Questran comes in a powdered form or Cholestyramine sachet. The individual should always take this drug by mixing it to 60 to 80 ml of liquid. The individual should take plenty of water, to avoid constipation. This drug should be taken two to four times in a day, before a meal or at bedtime. The person should not hold the mixture for long in the mouth as it may damage your teeth. The individual should not take it more than the prescribed dose as it may cause severe abdominal pain.
Side effect of Questran 4g:-
some common side effect caused by cholestyramine include gas or bloating, stomach pain, upset stomach, dizziness, vomiting or diarrhea, loss of appetite, heartburn or indigestion, black or bloody stools, severe nausea, shortness of breath and unusual bruising.
Precaution of Questran Medication:-
• Don't drive or perform any activity that requires alertness until you know how this drug affects you.
• While taking Cholestyramine drink plenty of fluids.
• Don't take alcohol as it may worsen certain side effects of Cholestyramine.
• This drug should always be taken with proper diet and healthy lifestyle such as regular exercise, quit smoking.
• Never take this drug in a powdered form.
• In case of taking another drug, take it before 1 hour of taking this or after 4-6 hours of taking Questran.