Chantix is available in the form of tablet, which comprises of Varenicline Tartrate as a main component. It is used to help in stopping adult smokers from smoking. This medication helps in decreasing the desire and withdrawal symptoms that happens at the time of quit smoking. Refraining from smoking helps in lowering the chances of suffering from lung disease, heart disease or experiencing various types of cancer that are caused due smoking. This medication is recommended for person below18 years of age.
Conditions in which Chantix should not be consumed are-
- A person sensitive towards Varenicline should avoid intake of this medicine.
- If you are experiencing renal or hepatic impairment, then you should not consume this drug.
- Children below 18 years of age should not consume this medicine.
Drug interaction of Chantix-
- Anti coagulant- Warfarin , Heparin.
- Azoles derivative- Ketoconazole, Itraconazole.
Storage conditions of Chantix Champix-
- This medicine should be stored at room temperature i.e. 25oC.
- It should be kept away from direct sunlight, heat and moisture.
Dosing of Chantix Tablets-
This medication is available in various strengths of 0.5 mg and 1 mg. A person should start with an initial dose of 0.5mg and then gradually increase the dose of 1 mg. You should consume this medication with food and along with a full glass of water.
You will have to continue the consumption of this medication for full 12-week even though you quit smoking in the second week.
From day 1 - 3, you should take one 0.5 mg tablet of Varenicline once in a day. From day 4 - 7you should take one 0.5 mg tablet of Varenicline, two times in a day i.e. once in the morning and once in the evening. From day 8 - 14, you should take 1 mg tablet of Varenicline two times in a day.
From day 15 until the end of the treatment, you should consume a 1mg of Varenicline tablets two times in a day i.e. once in the morning and once in the evening. After the completion of 12 weeks of the treatment, if you stop smoking, then your doctor will prescribe another 12 weeks of treatment, which will enhance your likelihood of stopping long-term smoking.
Consumption of Champix 1mg may lead to various side effects such as-
- Nausea, vomiting.
- Sleep related disorders.
- Feeling very agitated or restless.
- Feeling aggressive, angry or violent.
Various precautions that should be followed while using this medication are-
- Pregnant females should avoid intake of this medication as it may harm the fetus.
- If you ever had depression or any mental health related problems, then you should consume this drug after consulting a doctor.
- Avoid intake of prescription, non-prescription drugs, and herbal supplement along with this medication.
- You should not use any other medication along with Champix 1mg to quit smoking.