Tenormin is available in the form of a tablet that is to be taken orally. It is a drug that is used in the management of hypertension and angina. It contains Atenolol (beta- blocker) as its main ingredient.
When required, another antihypertensive agent may be added slowly commencing with 50 percent of the standard suggested starting dose to avoid an undue fall in blood pressure. It is a very effective medication.
Atenolol present in this formulation is a beta-blocker that functions by interfering with certain body chemicals. It decreases the heart rate (Bradycardia) and causes it to pump out less blood. Therefore, the heart beats regularly. Atenolol relaxes the blood vessels, resulting in reduction of blood pressure.
Store this medication at hygienic conditions and keep it away from the reach of children and pets.
Drug Interactions Tenormin 50mg:-
• Clonidine as it may lead to increase in BP.
• Indomethacin as it reduces the effectiveness of this medication.
• Alpha-blockers (Doxazosin) as they potentiate the bad effects of Tenormin.
• Antiarrhythmics ( Lidocaine, Quinidine).
• Calcium channel blockers (Verapamil).
• Do not consume Tenormin tablets along with above mentioned drugs as it can lead to severe interactions.
There are a number of circumstances in which Tenormin 100mg should not be taken like:-
• If you are suffering of congestive heart failure, irregular heartbeat problems or other serious heart conditions, then do not take this medication.
• Do not use this medication if you are allergic to Atenolol and related compounds as it can lead to severe hypersensitivity reactions.
• Since Atenolol is eliminated by means of the kidneys, amount should be adjusted in cases of severe renal dysfunction.
The standard primary dose of Atenolol is 50 mg each day. Hence, the primary dose should be one 50mg tablet of this medication given once a day. If a required therapeutic effect is not attained, the dosage should be increased to 100mg tablet given once a day. Follow the dosing schedule properly to get the desired results.
In case you forget to take a dose of Tenormin, take it as soon as your remember. Do not take two doses of this medication at the same time. Avoid over-dosing as it can lead to harmful effects. In case of emergency, contact your physician immediately.
Side effects of Tenormin 50mg are swelling, weight gain, pale skin, allergic reactions (irritation, redness, and skin complaints), chest pain, nausea, sweating, uneven heartbeats, shortness of breath, etc.
Safety measures Tenormin 25mg, 50mg, 100mg :-
• Take this medication before 6 pm as it increases the amount of urine.
• Protect your skin from harmful rays of sun as this medication may cause you to become sunburned more easily.
• Do not take Tenormin with alcoholic beverages as they can potentiate its side effects like dizziness and drowsiness.
• Take this medication with proper care if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.