RU486 containing Mifepristone as core component, act as an abortion kit that is intended for unwanted pregnancy termination under 9 weeks or 63 days of pregnancy, counting first day of your last menstrual cycle as your first day of pregnancy. Termination and elimination are two processes in abortion. It is somewhat similar to natural process called miscarriage.
How RU486 works?
RU486 is a brand name for generic Mifepristone that helps to end a pregnancy by inhibiting progesterone hormone because progesterone is an essential hormone to maintain and continue pregnancy. Mifepristone is progesterone antagonist and it detaches the developing fetus from uterine wall lining and leads to its degradation. That indicates end of pregnancy. This detached fetus is further eliminated from female body after uterine contraction as vaginal bleeding with blood clots.
Who should not take RU486?
• Females with hypersensitivity to generic Mifepristone or any other ingredient present in RU486 formulation should not take this drug.
• Nursing mothers are advised to avoid this medicine.
• Girls of 17 years and below are not recommended to take this drug.
• Females with ectopic pregnancy are not suggested for RU 486.
What are the drug interactions of RU486?
Administration of RU486 with NSAIDs and corticosteroids is not recommended as it may lead to drug interactions.
What is the dosing schedule of RU-486?
RU-486 abortion pill comes as three pills of Mifepristone (200mg each) in one packet. Therefore, you have to consume all the three pills as a single dose via oral route on an empty stomach on first day of abortion.
Go for clinical examination on 3rd day after tablet intake to check for your pregnancy termination. If situation occurs that, your pregnancy is not fully aborted then you have to take two tablets of Misoprostol generic (200mcg each) for complete abortion.
Then again, visit healthcare provider for confirming abortion.
• Never take extra medicine or it may lead to overdose and causes severe health problems.
• Avoid physical contact or use an effective contraception method to avoid pregnancy until you stop bleeding as you may conceive very soon after abortion.
What are the storage conditions for RU-486?
Store the tablet at room temperature and keep it away from direct sunlight, heat, moisture and the reach of children.
What undesirable effects you will notice with RU486?
Females may feel some common side effects but these will not stay after successful abortion that includes headache, nausea, backache, vomiting, dizziness, abdominal pain, fatigue and vaginal bleeding that may last for 8 to 10 days.
What preventive measures should be followed with RU486?
• Get soon recovery with healthy nutritious diet.
• Remove your intrauterine devices (IUDs) if placed before going for abortion with RU-486.
• Smoking and alcohol consumption leads to increase drowsiness effects.
• It is not a contraceptive method, so never use it for that purpose.