High blood pressure (hypertension) can silently damage your body for years sooner than warning signs develop. If it is left untreated, you may end up with a poor quality of life, or even a deadly heart attack. Luckily, with proper remedial treatment and routine alterations, you can maintain a tight control on your high blood pressure to decrease the danger of life-threatening problems. Norvasc is an outstanding antihypertensive drug which can be used to treat high BP, angina (chest pain) and other conditions caused by CAD or coronary artery disease. Amlodipine is the active constituent present in it which belongs to the class of calcium channel blockers. Norvasc helps in relaxing the blood vessels and improving the blood flow. When raised blood pressure gets controlled, the risk of lethal and non-lethal cardiovascular events, specifically myocardial infarction and stroke also gets decreased.
Mechanism of action Norvasc Tablets:
Norvasc (Amlodipine besylate) is a very powerful calcium channel blocker. It works by reducing the amount of calcium that enters the smooth muscles of heart and blood vessels. This will cause relaxation of the muscle cells as they need calcium for contraction which further causes dilation of the blood vessels. This results in improving oxygen and blood supply to the heart muscles.
Dosage of Amlodipine:
The recommended antihypertensive oral dose of this medication is 5 to 10mg once daily, and the maximum dose is 10mg once daily.
Side effects of Norvasc 5mg:
Side effects are minor or typical negative effects of a medicine or any medical treatment. Common side effects which may take place after taking Amlodipine 10mg may include dizziness, difficult breathing, nausea or vomiting, stomach pain, irregular heartbeat, chest pain or heavy feeling, heaviness of legs and/or general ill feeling. Thus it is necessary to inform your physician right away if any of these side effects bother you.
Proper caution must be exercised while taking Amlodipine 5 mg in patients with the history of the following conditions:
• Recent heart attack
• Poor blood circulation
• Blood vessel problems
• Congestive heart failure
• Liver disease
• Hypersensitivity to any of its components
• Pregnancy and lactation
Drug Interactions of Norvasc 2.5mg, 5mg, 10mg:
Drug interaction is a condition in which one medicine modifies the effect of another medicine when both are taken together. It may alter how your medicines work or enhance the risk of severe side effects. Do not take Norvasc 5mg with the following drugs:
• Impotence drugs such as Sildenafil
• Immunosuppressant drugs such as Cyclosporine or Tacrolimus
• Cholesterol lowering medications such as Simvastatin
• This drug may cause drowsiness or dizziness. Thus avoid getting up too fast from a lying or sitting position and do not perform any heavy tasks while taking this drug. Also, get up steadily and slowly to avoid a fall.
• Some patients may develop serious allergic reactions while taking this drug; if it so contact your doctor.
• Limit the intake of alcohol while taking Amlodipine 5mg. As alcohol can further decrease your blood pressure and may enhance side effects of Amlodipine.
• Amlodipine besylate 10mg is only part of a complete program of HYPERTENSION TREATMENT that may also include exercise, diet, weight control, and other drugs as well. Thus it is very important to follow your diet, medicine dose, and exercise habits very closely.
"Now control your problems like severe chest pain and hypertension in a very efficient way with Amlodipine besylate 5mg."