Mevacor is an effective medication that is used in the lowering of high cholesterol levels in the body. But this drug needs the support of a suitable diet (low fat diet) to give the desired results. It decreases the levels of bad cholesterol (Low density Lipoproteins) and fats in the body of the patient and increases the levels of good cholesterol (High density Lipoproteins) as well.
It lowers the risk of heart attack or stroke and chest pain occurring due to angina by reducing the amount of cholesterol made by the liver. It is also utilized to slow down the blood vessel blockage. It also serves as an important role in decreasing the requirement for medical procedures to open blocked heart blood vessels.
Mevacor contains Lovastatin as its main ingredient that falls under the category of drugs called statins. It is an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor. It functions by decreasing the production of certain fatty substances like Triglycerides in the body, including cholesterol. It is very important that you adopt a healthy lifestyle along with this therapy so that you can get the maximum benefit.
Store this medication under hygienic conditions and keep it away from the reach of children.
There are some cases in which the use of Lovastatin 10mg in not reccommended like:-
• If you are allergic to Lovastatin or any other related drugs as it can lead to severe hypersensitivity reactions.
• If you are suffering from severe liver impairment.
• If you are pregnant or a breast feeding mother as it can harm the baby.
Drug interactions of Lovastatin 20mg:-
• Cyclosporine, erythromycin,
• HIV protease inhibitors (Ritonavir),
• Anti-fungal (Ketoconazole)
Do not consume Lovastatin 20mg tablets along with above mentioned drugs as it can lead to severe interactions.
Mevacor is available in two different doses of 10mg and 20mg. Mevacor 10mg is to be taken via mouth with food. Take this regularly according to your dosing schedule. Do not miss any dose of this.
But in case you forget to take a dose of Mevacor, take it as soon as your remember. Do not take two doses of this medication at the same time. Avoid over-dosing as it can lead to harmful effects. In case of emergency, contact your physician immediately.
Side effects of Mevacor are hypersensitive reactions; confusion; memory troubles; psychological or temper changes; muscle pain; tenderness; stomachache; backache; shortness of breath; indications of liver problems; etc. These side effects are temporary and do not last for long period of time.
Safety measures Mevacore 10mg, 20mg:-
• The consumption of grapefruit juice along with this medication can potentiate the adverse effects of this drug. Therefore, it is important that you avoid taking Mevacor along with it.
• Do not take Mevacor with alcoholic beverages as they can potentiate its side effects like dizziness and drowsiness.
• Take this drug with proper care in case of individuals who have not reached puberty and children who are less than 10 years old.