The main ingredient present in Doxicip is Doxycycline Hydrochloride, which is a synthetic tetracycline derivative with similar antimicrobial activity. Doxicip is a first-line therapy for the management of different bacterial infections, like acne, urinary tract infections, intestinal infections, eye infections, gonorrhea, Chlamydia, periodontitis (gum disease), and others. It is also effective in the management of blemishes, bumps, and acne-like lesions caused by rosacea. Doxicip does not involve in the treatment of viral infection such as the common cold.
Mechanism of action of Doxicip 100mg:
Doxycycline is lipophilic and has the capacity to pass through the lipid bilayer of bacteria. Doxycycline reversibly binds to the 30 S ribosomal subunits and possibly the 50S ribosomal subunit(s) and hindering the binding of aminoacyl-tRNA to the mRNA and inhibiting bacterial protein synthesis. Doxycycline averts the normal function of the apicoplast of Plasmodium falciparum, a malaria-causing organism.
Dosage regimen of Doxicip 100mg:
Doxicip 100mg is commercially available in a tablet dosage form. Dose for the treatment of bacterial infections: A patient has to take 200 mg orally on the first day, given in two or four divided doses. After that, 100mg of Doxicip should be taken orally once a day or in 2 divided doses. Dose for the treatment of acne: initially, a person should take 100mg of Doxicip orally twice a day for 3 to 6 weeks or until improvement occurs. After that, take 50 to 150 mg of Doxicip orally once a day.
Contraindications of Doxicip 100mg:
- If you are a pregnant or a lactating mother, then do not use Doxicip.
- If you are allergic to Doxycycline or any other Tetracyclines, then do not use this medicine.
- Children below 8 years of age should not use Doxicip.
Precautions while using Doxicip 100mg:
- If you are a patient with impaired hepatic function, history or predisposition to oral candidiasis, then you should take Doxicip with at least a glass of water in an upright position to reduce the risk of esophageal injury.
- Avoid the use of hormonal contraceptives while relying on the treatment of Doxicip.
- Children should use Doxicip only under severe or life-threatening conditions such as anthrax or Rocky Mountain spotted fever.
Side effects of Doxicip 100mg:
Some possible common side effects of Doxicip include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dental abnormality, and loss of appetite, increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight, teeth discoloration, and stomach upset.
Drug interactions with Doxicip 100mg:
- Antacids, calcium, magnesium, and iron reduce the absorption and bioavailability of Doxicip.
- Chronic alcohol ingestion reduces serum concentrations.
- Hepatic enzyme inducers such as Rifampicin, Phenytoin and Carbamazepine increase metabolism of Doxicip.